JANE DOE NO. 1, ET AL. V. JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL, ET AL.
CASE NO. 24-C-13-001041
CIRCUIT COURT FOR BALTIMORE CITY
IF YOU WERE A PATIENT OF NIKITA LEVY, M.D. OF JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL IN BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, AND TIMELY SUBMITTED A CLAIM IN THIS CLASS ACTION, THE ASSESSMENT OF YOUR CLAIM IS NOW UNDERWAY.
- A $190 million dollar Settlement has been reached and approved by the Court. The Settlement offers payments to the “LEVY Settlement Class,” consisting of all former patients of Dr. Nikita A. Levy (“Dr. Levy”) or all such persons’ personal representatives, heirs or assigns, wherever located, who have or may in the future have any claim against (1) Dr. Levy or the Estate of Nikita A. Levy, M.D. or (2) Johns Hopkins arising out of, based upon, related to, or involving injuries and damages claimed as a result of the Dr. Levy's photographing or videotaping activities or boundary violations while he was an actual or apparent agent, servant, or employee of Johns Hopkins.
- The total recovery for each Settlement Class Member will depend on the number of valid claims and the severity of each Settlement Class Member’s injuries. Each Settlement Class Member who filed a valid and timely claim shall be considered to receive a portion of the $190,000,000.00 after the Court-approved deduction of attorneys’ fees and expenses, notice fees and administration costs, and, if applicable, payment of any liens, including any Medicare/Medicaid liens.
- The Court has approved an allocation plan and process to distribute the Settlement monies among Settlement Class Members who timely submitted a valid claim in this action, who are confirmed as having been a patient of Dr. Levy, and who suffered compensable damages. Over 9,000 timely claims were submitted by the Court-imposed deadline of November 14, 2014.
- Each claim will be assessed by an Allocation Team led by Court Appointed Claims Adjudicator Judge Irma S. Raker (Ret.) and assisted by RG/2 Claims Administration LLC. Each patient of Dr. Levy who submitted a timely claim will have her claim evaluated based on a one-on-one interview conducted by telephone. Settlement Class Members will be contacted by the Allocation Team to schedule and conduct their claim assessment interview. Settlement Class Members’ identities and responses to interview questions will be kept strictly confidential.
- After all claims have been assessed the Claims Adjudicator will then submit her recommendations of settlement payments for each Settlement Class Member to the Court, and those recommendations must be approved by Court. After any appeals are resolved, and the Court approves the final set of recommended payments, Settlement Class Members will be notified in writing of the final outcome of their claim and payments will begin.
- Claims processing has been completed and the Court has granted approval of each Claimant’s assignment to an injury category.
- On December 22, 2016, Notice of Assignment letters were mailed to Claimants informing you of your assigned injury category and providing you an opportunity to appeal this determination.
- The Appeals process has been completed and final decisions have been mailed to the claimants who appealed their Injury Categories.
- The Circuit Court for Baltimore City has approved the recommendation of the Claims Adjudicator as to the amount of the final awards for each of the damage categories and the Court has further authorized the distribution of payments to valid Claimants. Following are the final amounts awarded to each damage category:
||Amount per Member
- These payments are final and cannot be adjusted.